KLOOVENBURG CARIGNAN 2016
A high density bush vine from a single vineyard standing on a schist soil.
VINIFICATION AND CELLAR NOTES
All grapes are handpicked during the early morning hours and then cooled overnight in a temperature – controlled room at 5 °C. 80% of these grapes are then lightly crushed and destemmed, whilst the remaining 20% is fermented as whole cluster. This is followed by a three day cold soak at 9 °C, covered with a CO₂ blanket. Fermentation takes place in open fermenters. The wine ferments spontaneously.
Extraction is obtained by light punch – downs twice a day. After fermentation is completed, the wine is left on the skins for another seven days and then pressed to old oak barrels. Malolactic fermentation is completed in the barrel. The wine is then racked from the lees and given a low dose of sulphur. This Kloovenburg Carignan spends a total of 14 months in the barrel before it is bottled, unfined and unfiltered.
Alcohol 13%; Sugar 2,3 g/l; pH 3,5; Acidity 5,5 g/l; Total SO2 87 mg/L
Colour: Violet – red
Nose: Aromas of red berries, fynbos and spice
Palate: Medium bodied with juicy tannins and fresh acidity
Richer poultry dishes, roasted pork, chicken and beef brisket
View our full Kloovenburg range here
Visit Kloovenburg SA
There are no reviews yet.