KLOOVENBURG EIGHT FEET RED 2015
66% Shiraz; 16% Grenache; 9% Carignan; 9% Mourvèdre
Shiraz is trellised, Grenache, Mourvèdre and Carignan is all bush vine on a schist soil.
VINIFICATION AND CELLAR NOTES
All the different components are handpicked during the early morning hours and then cooled overnight in a temperature – controlled room at 5°C. A large percentage (85%) of the Shiraz is then crushed and destemmed, whilst the remaining 15% is fermented as whole cluster. Of the Grenache, Mourvedre and Carignan, 30% is fermented as whole cluster whilst the balance is destemmed and crushed. This is followed by a three day cold soak at 9 °C, covered with a CO₂ blanket. Fermentation takes place in open fermenters. All the grapes ferment spontaneously and separately. Extraction is obtained by three punch – downs per day. After fermentation is complete, the wine is left on the skins for another seven days. The Shiraz is then pressed to 20% new Allier French oak barrels, and the Grenache, Mourvèdre and Carignan is pressed to third and fourth fill French oak barrels, which vary from 300 L to 500 L. The pressed section is kept separate. Malolactic bacteria are inoculated and malolactic fermentation is completed in the barrel. The wine is then racked from the lees and given a low dose of sulphur. The wines spends a total of 16 months in the barrel before it is blended and bottled.
Alcohol 14.4%; Sugar 2,6 g/l; pH 3,45; Acidity 5,9 g/l; Total SO2 71 mg/L
Colour: Intense ruby colour
Nose: Aromas of red berries, dark fruit, black olive and spice
Palate: Medium to full bodied, good structure with soft and silky tannins
Grilled and roast beef, stew, mildly spicy foods and game
There are no reviews yet.